The Champions of Competition Hall of Fame is a permanent tribute to industry leaders, lawmakers, technologists and other significant industry contributors to commemorate and honor their commitment to promoting and preserving competition in the telecommunications industry.
Champions of Competition award winners are selected annually by COMPTEL's Board of Directors, based on the following criteria:
Champions of Competition
Individuals must be actively involved in, or directly working in telecommunications industry.
Individuals must have made a significant contribution to the industry by demonstrating vision and leadership or served as a catalyst for change that has had a significant impact on the industry.
Award winners can be selected posthumously.
Nominations for this award will be considered by the Board of Directors for next year’s program, and winners will be announced at the association's Spring Convention and Expo.
- Hon. F. James Sensenbrenner, Jr. (R-Wis.), Chairman of the House Committee on the Judiciary
- FCC Commissioner Kevin J. Martin
- Mr. George Vinall, Executive Vice President of Business Development, Talk America
- Hon. Charles “Chip” Pickering Jr. (R-Miss.), United States House of Representatives
- Mr. H. Brian Thompson, Chairman, Comsat International, and former Chairman and CEO of LCI International
- Ambassador Kathryn Linda Haycock Proffitt, former U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Malta and founder, former president and chief executive officers of Call-America
- Hon. William Baxter, former Assistant Attorney General, Antitrust Division, DoJ (posthumous)
- Ms. Anne Bingaman, Chairman and CEO, Valor Telecom, LLC
- Mr. Bernard Ebbers, President and CEO, WorldCom
- Judge Harold Greene, U.S. District Court, Washington, DC (posthumous)
- Hon. Edward Markey (D-Mass.), United States House of Representatives
- Mr. Bill McGowan, Chairman and CEO, MCI Communications Corporation (posthumous)
- Mr. Alan Peyser, Co-founder and Chairman, Simplexity
- Hon. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), United States Senate
- Roy A. Wilkens, President and CEO, McLeodUSA Network & Data Services Operations
- Hon. Thomas Bliley, former United States Representative (R-Va.)
- Hon. Ernest “Fritz” Hollings (D-S.C.), United States Senate